Wanna lose weight? Wanna look great?! How about rocking that fabulous bod you’ve always wanted?! Um, yes please!! But Linda, you ask, how do I get there? I’ve tried everything!! I know sister, me too, and that’s why I’m here to help you and share my fabulous secrets with you so you can finally get there!!
That’s right, eliminate the bad stuff. Don’t worry about anything else right now; just stop poisoning your cells! Your sweet little body can only handle so much toxicity. And it’s amazing what it can and does survive on for many years, but at what cost? Is the drive-thru or that bag of chips really worth more than your sense of well being, energy, vivaciousness, beauty, and overall fabulousness?! Hopefully your answer is an astounding and passionate ‘NO’!
Let’s face it: we can’t make progress on yesterday’s garbage if we’re constantly cleaning up after today’s mess. To make any difference at all, you simply need to bring less garbage into your body than you did yesterday.
What is considered garbage? It’s anything that can get stored in your body because it’s not coming out. Um ok…what the hell does that mean?! It’s simple, I promise!! It really is the most logical thing you will ever hear about food; that’s why I find so many people have such a hard time grasping it, it’s too easy…it couldn’t work!! Your inner dieter is screaming I’m supposed to suffer and starve myself, that’s the only way!! Sorry honey, suffering is bullshit, a waste of time, and sooo unattractive! Lucky for you, I’ve got the answers you’ve been waiting for.
Get this, there are certain foods that are harder for the body to digest. 40% of these foods never actually leave the body. That means that 40% of that burger and it’s bi-products are accumulating on your thighs, muffin top, and ass. Remember the lesson from last week: WASTE = WEIGHT.
So what the heck am I supposed to do?! Before you give up hope and decide to live in a sweatshirt and yoga pants forever, hear me out. Eliminating the garbage is as easy as 3 simple steps. Today we’ll start with step 1.
Step 1: Choose Healthier Alternatives
Here are some healthier alternatives to your favorite “garbage” foods. You can use them as frequently as needed while you transition to a healthier, life-generating diet.
- Ice Cream: La Loo’s brand goat’s milk ice cream – it is beyond decadent, you’ll love it!
- Bread: Ezekiel Bread – delicious sprouted bread that’s easy to digest. In addition to sliced bread they also have bagels, pitas, tortillas, & English muffins. Tastes best toasted, I love spreading avocado and sea salt on toasted Ezekiel bread as a snack 🙂
- Cheese: Alta Dena brand raw goat cheese – an absolutely lovely alternative that can be shredded and added to salads and veggies. I also love chevre style goat cheese. It’s soft and spreadable. Lovely on sweet potatoes, salads, and soups!
- Pasta: Vita Spelt pasta and Ancient Foods brand Quinoa pasta – these are absolutely delicious. No one would ever know they are not your run of the mill flour pastas. My boyfriend (always the true test – he is SUCH a picky eater!) loves these pastas! Kids love it too!
- Marinara: Organic marinara sauce with as few ingredients & as low fat as possible. Look for about 5 total ingredients and 2-4 grams of fat per serving. My favorite brands are Mom’s (made locally in Austin) and Marzetta.
- Milk: Pacific Brand Almond Milk or Manitoba Harvest brand Hemp Milk are great alternatives to acidic and mucous forming cow dairy. If you can get your hands on raw goats milk that’s fine too but some people dislike the taste.
- Grains: Quinoa, Buckwheat, & Millet
- Salt: Alessi brand Sea Salt
- Soy Sauce: Nama Shoyu or Tamari
- Meat & Dairy: always choose organic, free range meats, raw goat cheese, wild caught fish, cage-free organic eggs, organic butter. I emphasize organic, free range, wild-caught, etc because the quality of your animal products has a direct relationship to your health. In order to have a clean-celled body that’s buzzing with energy and vitality, we have to feed ourselves the absolute cleanest and best quality foods. You are what you eat and don’t ever forget it, baby! Do you want to be united with a feed-lot chicken that is diseased, chalked full of antibiotics, dipped in pesticides, living in it’s own (and probably 1,000 other chicken’s) feces, and can’t even walk because it’s body is so disfigured from steroids?!?!! I didn’t think so. These are the facts people, if you haven’t already, watch Food Inc (it’s free for instant download on NetFlix). Make a conscious decision to eat cleaner animal products, your mind, body and spirit will thank you!
- Starches: sweet potatoes, red potatoes, turnips, beets, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, acorn squash, kobucha squash. Whenever I get a starch craving I reach for these starchy foods. They fill me up and satisfy my cravings while helping me stay lean and luscious!
Make a list of these foods to keep with you in the car and take with you to the grocery store. Use these foods as your staples and stock up on these items, along with your favorite veggies, so that you always have them on hand. All you need to cook delicious vegetables is a little organic butter, garlic, onion, & sea salt to taste. You would be surprised at how incredibly easy it is to make the most delicious, gourmet quality vegetable based meals! Stay tuned for lots of fabulous recipes that will make your heart and your waistline sing!!